Kleenex and DayQuil have become my new best friends as of Sunday, and I can’t say I’m too thrilled about it. Three months unscathed had me believing I dodged the winter flu, so I guess it was kismet that I finally got hit. Believe me when I say this flu didn’t hold back. I’ll spare you the details but sum it up with the idiom,“when it rains, it pours.”
One thing that has remained true through any sickness is that rest is valuable. Laid out below is my “feel good” formula. Rough day? Cramps? Stressed out? Sick? This routine tackles it all, resulting in some major TLC. I don’t know about you, but I’ll find any excuse to indulge in some extra “me” time. Here are some of favorite ways on how I achieve that.
Treat Yo Self
- Drink up: Before beginning my pampering regime, I like to fix myself a fun drink. This looks a little bit different depending on the day. While getting ready for date night with my hubs I’ll pour myself a glass of white wine, on a sick day I love to make earl grey tea, and when I want to have a spa-day I’ll make cucumber water. Whatever it entails for you, make a drink before starting your routine. It adds to the festivities!
- Bath with salts: I don’t frequently take baths, so when I do I make sure it’s worth my while. I love to use salts to relieve stress, loosen muscle tension, and enhance the soaking experience. This brand of epsom salts is my favorite. The lavender mixture is great for nighttime baths as the aromatherapy from the essential oils helps soothe you to sleep. The Eucalyptus Spearmint salt mixture is refreshing and light. When paired with a hot bath, the mixture resembles that of a spa. (To make your bath extra relaxing: turn off the lights, light some candles, and play some quiet music.)
- Face masks: I have been undeniably addicted to those individual sheet face masks lately. Apparently these little face masks are all the rage, and for good reason. Lucas finds me sporting them around our house at least three times a week. I was spending a pretty penny ($2.49 per mask) at Target up until recently when I discovered an even better brand for much cheaper ($0.75 per mask, hollla!). These facial sheet masks are incredible at moisturizing, brightening, and tightening the skin. I love to relax on the couch with a magazine during the allotted 15 minutes, allowing the sheet to do it’s work.
- Manicure: For the most part, I enjoy going to a salon and getting a professional manicure. I will never be able to do my own nails as well or as fast as the women at the salon, but that doesn’t stop me from owning a nail polish collection. On some rare days I get in the mood to paint my own nails, there is just something so relaxing about it. I always finish with a Gel Top Coat to increase longevity of my at-home mani.
- Comfort Shows: This might sound silly, but there are some shows that will always bring me comfort. Gilmore Girls, The Office, and Friends are the three that I can always count on whether I’m sick or it’s just been a rough day. These are the shows I’ve seen repeatedly from beginning to end, am well-versed in, and can consistently rely on for a good laugh.
Whether you try one or all five of my at-home pamper tips, let me know! Would love to hear your suggestions on what you do for your relaxation time.