Recently it seems that stores such as Target and that of the like are becoming to be a one stop convenience shop for all household and lifestyle needs. (Rumor has it that select Targets will now even be selling wine by the glass while you peruse the aisles). Their cosmetics section in particular has been standing out to me lately. Lower end beauty brands like Loreal and Maybelline are now putting their best foot forward in order to attract customers from the upscale brands such as MAC, Tarte, Too Faced, and Urban Decay.
I hate to be the one to say it, but I’ve been reaching for my low-end cosmetics far more frequently than the luxury brand products in my drawer recently. I think drugstore brands deserve a big kudos right now, cause they’re totally having a moment. They are taking tips from their big sister companies and really improving their formulas, color options, pigment payouts, and even their packaging, making them serious competitors. The best part is, you’re getting quality products for a drugstore price tag.
Here are some of my absolute favorite items I’ve been loving lately. All of these items were snagged at either my local CVS or Target (aka: the wonderland).
1) Face Exfoliating Sponge: Okay how have I lived without this product? I understand its just a three dollar sponge but it really does wonders! This handy face exfoliator gently removes skin without irritating. In one circular motion I am able to free my face of all it’s layered on makeup.
2) Maybelline Master Precise Skinny Eyeliner: I own this liner in the shade sharp brown and am thoroughly impressed. I have been through several different liners but because this is a new gel formula, it’s lasting power is incredible and it applies so creamy. I love to use it to smoke out my bottom lash line.
3) Tropical Makeup Bags in Pineapple and Grapefruit print: As I said, everything at the drugstore seems to be getting cuter and more improved and this merchandise is no exception. I’m sure you already had me pegged as a “buy anything with cute print” gal but this goes far beyond a design. The layout is genius and holds so much. They are wonderful for tucking away all your makeup and beauty products, making it the perfect travel accessory for any weekend getaways.
4) CoverGirl Tru Blend Blush in Rose: This is a beautiful shade that adds life to your cheekbones without being overbearing or harsh. I love baked blushes because they have dimensional shading that really helps it appear natural on the face.
5)L’Oréal Colour Riche Balms: If you missed my in-depth review about these last week, check it out here. These tinted balms are all I need to get me through a week busy with runnings errands and going to work. I have a few stashed in my purse as we speak.
6) Mayfair Body Wash & Body Soufflé in Sea Lily Jasmine: When I smelled this product I was instantly transported back into first grade. I have absolutely no idea why, but there is something so deliciously addicting about this scent. I am in love with this newfound brand as their quality is sublime. All of the products feel luxurious on the skin and would make great gifts for your girl friends.
7) Under Eye Gel Masks: If you’ve read my pamper routine, you know I am all about any sort of at home beauty indulgence and these eye masks hit the mark for me. They are cooling, soothing, moisturizing, and incredibly relaxing. Each pack comes with three pairs!
8) Essie polish in Tart Deco: It may be the dead of winter but if you’re buying tropical makeup bags, why not paint your nails to go along with the occasion? Okay, that’s just one of the excuses I tell my husband when I return from a Target shopping trip, but I really can’t get enough of this color! Maybe I’m just anxious for spring, but this dreamy coral is all I need to get me by.
9) NYX Liquid Illuminator: I just discovered this little tube last week and I have been using it like crazy! My face has been exceptionally dry this winter so unfortunately it’s lacking the natural glow factor. This product is in a gorgeous rose gold shade that shimmers (read: no chunky glitter) and adds warmth to the face without turning you into a disco ball or highlighting your imperfections.
10) L’Oréal True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation. This is what I believe to be the drugstore’s current best kept secret. Believe me when I say I’ve been all over the map with foundations. Nars, MUFE, Mac, Estée Lauder… it’s all been a part of my makeup repertoire at one point or another. However, this foundation takes the cake. Loreal truly nailed it on the color selection by realeasing an array of tones and shades. Depending on my pale to tan scale I teeter between all 3 neutral shades.
That’s a wrap for my current drugstore favorites. Let me know in the comments below if there are any products I missed and need to check out!